Friday, April 1, 2011

Sometimes We Just Need to be Heard

A few days ago I was spouting off . . letting go of some of the irritations that had been building up (too much to do, not enough time to do it . . .trying to meet everyone else's needs before I tended to my own). I had cooked enough food for an army, gone to the grocery store for the 3rd time in a week, run the vacuum, fixed the belt that slipped off the beater brush, done my 4th load of laundry for the day, and taught 2 classes. This is the truth . . no exaggeration. I had tried stomping it off by walking until my shins and heels hurt. And I was still ticked. So I was trying to talk it out . . .but the person who was supposed to be listening didn't hear what I was really saying. Matter of fact . . he said I was whining. Ouch! When I was sharing this story with my hairdresser (who of course feels like my own personal therapist :) . . she totally understood. Because she really listened. She didn't need to tell me to take a break or do something nice for myself. She didn't tell me to buzz off or to get a grip. She let me talk . . and she listened. Probably because she had been there. I think we all have been there. And we all get over it. But wouldn't it be nice if we could just let loose when we've had enough . . .spew it out . . and be done with it rather than having to hold it in and pretend like everything is ok . . like we're saints (or trolls). Why is it that our society expects us to take whatever comes along and be happy, cheerful little women (with our make-up perfectly applied and dressed in the latest fashion and heels)? Well, I'd like to say that I'm over it . . but as you can see, I'm still mulling it over. And I'm wondering what you think . . . I'm looking for positive women role-models throughout history (and a few in recent history would be nice, too) that might give us a boost up. Who, in your life, has listened and lifted you?

No comments: