Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Day of Contentment. . Reflecting on the Ordinary

Today has been one of those days where nothing has been spectacular . . and yet, it hasn't been a disaster either. The sun is shining, there's a warm breeze, and the dog is curled up sleeping at my feet. I miss my grandbabies . . but I'm going to see them in a few days, so I let that thought pass. I didn't exercise yesterday (because I was cooking like crazy for a block party) and it's likely I won't break a sweat today (because I've got papers to grade), so I'm letting that thought go. Poof! I smile, sit back in my rocker and think, wow, this is the life. I have lived so many days hurrying or scurrying . . .or sitting and waiting . . .or wishing and dreaming. Rarely do I live my days in the present (although I hear it's all the rage :) But occasionally, I am blessed with these moments of contentment. And I'm going to savor these. The slight breeze that rustles the spring green leaves on the trees. The soft tickle of Ava's fur against my bare feet. The perfect brew of hazelnut and sumatra loaded with half and half that I savor with a languorous sip. What perfectly ordinary moment carries you away and fills you with contentment?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Walking outside on a beautiful day, listening to my Ipod, my steps falling into the rhythm of the song.

Unknown said...

Not actually Paul, by the way.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad everybody else is lite rockin' in their zen-zone... I'm ready to pull out what is left of my hair! I have what should be simple health assessment comps. except the instructor has now sent out no less than four changes concerning the two...this just in... make that three competencies that we draw from a hat and immediately must perform to the satisfaction of someone OR repeat the class! I don't have time or money for this crap...So I will just have to calm myself and giggle to myself at the thought of some white guy "not actually" walking in time to music-- Thanks Paul, whoever you are :)